Thursday, May 16, 2013

tears...

Today...
I learned a lesson about love...
From my young prince.
He taught me that sometimes...
The most important battles we face...
Are actually internal...
Fights occurring to keep health on the inside.

This morning...
As Bud was making a card for his beloved mamaw...
He was asking how to spell a word...
He then proceeded to tell me what he was going to write.
He wanted to know how their sick dog was doing.
As I shared the news that their sweet pet had actually passed away...
My mama's heart was undone.

I saw the heart of a 5 year-old sink.
A battle began to rage as he processed.
I could see he wanted to run and hide.
He wanted to bury and fight against what he was feeling.

Immediately he began scribbling over what he had just written...
What was supposed to be a light question from a thoughtful boy...
Turned out to be a tear-filled opportunity.

Reminding this heart of the importance
Of not turning away from pain...
To seize the opportunity to look it straight in the eyes...
To let tears win.

It was hard as I watched him wrestle.
I was broken as he clinched his teeth...
I was overcome as he raised his fist at the injustice of death.
I wept as the tears flowed and his heart audibly groaned.
All I could do was hold him tightly...
And partner in weeping.

This morning... In the midst of creating love art...
A masterpiece moment was found right next to...
The tear-stained scribbles.

Today...
We entered in deeper...
And we stood behind what He was creating in us.
I celebrate those royal markings..
Even though they REALLY hurt.

And today...
In a rare moment...
I was taught that being a superhero is not just about fighting the bad guys...
It's about surrendering to what feels ultra painful and terrifying.
Accepting the invitation for my heart and the heart of my son to...
Fully live.

Tears though avoided by many with super strength...
Are so IMPORTANT...
They keep the soil of our hearts moist.

Papa must have known that I needed a good watering...
He sent my favorite superhero on my behalf.
Our God is so good like that...
He knows exactly what we need...
And He is not afraid of killing our comfort...
In order for us to come more fully alive in love...
And many times...
That begins with sharing tears with superheroes.

No comments:

Post a Comment